- Heat up a 16cm Low on highest heat till the red indicator of the visiotherm reaches the frying window. Reduce to low heat, add sugar and caramelize the sugar till dark brown (almost black). Add 1/3 cup water and let the syrup boil for a few minutes till it thickens. Remove from the heat, cool and keep it aside.
- Mix all the dried fruits with 1-2 tbsp of refined flour and keep aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a 20 cm combi- bowl till light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice powder together. Separate the eggs and lightly beat the yolks along with vanilla essence.
- Add it to the creamed butter and sugar. Fold in the flour.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff and fold in. Finally add the prepared caramel syrup and the dry fruits. If required add a little milk to get a dropping consistency.
- Grease and line a cake tray. Pour the batter into it and bake for 75-80 minutes, following the AMC method for baking.
- For baking, place the 20 cm grater in inverted position in a 24cm roaster and cover the unit with a Combi bowl. Unscrew the visiotherm from the lid and place it over the combi bowl. Heat up this combination on highest heat till the red indicator of the visiotherm reaches the frying window. Reduce the heat and place the cake tray over the grater.
- After baking time is completed,remove and cool the cake. Once the cake cools slightly, loosen the edges of the cake by running a knife around the sides. Invert the cake on a plate. Peel off the butter paper and let the cake cool down completely
Note: To enrich the flavor of the currants and raisins, soak them in rum preferably.