- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of hot water for 30 minutes. Strain and keep the extract aside.
- Add oil and heat up 16cm low on highest heat without the lid for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat, and add all the spices listed under the spice paste (except the asafoetida, turmeric and jaggery). Roast till they release fried aroma. Now add the jaggery, asafoetida and turmeric powder and grind into a paste.
- In a 24cm High cook the split red gram, following the general guidelines for cooking dehydrated foods, till almost done. Add the rice, chopped vegetables and 3 cups of water. Cook till the rice- pulse mixture gets porridge like consistency.
- For the seasoning, add ghee in a 20cm Low and heat up on highest heat for 1-2 minutes without the lid.
- Now add the cashew nuts and toast them on low heat and keep aside. In the same unit, splatter the mustard seeds, add the sliced onions and then fry till golden brown. Mix in the tomatoes, tamarind extract and curry leaves. Cook for a few minutes and stir in the spice paste.
- Add one cup of water and simmer for a few minutes. Transfer into the rice-pulse porridge and combine thoroughly.
- Add one more cup of water and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat, garnish with the toasted cashew nuts and 1 tsp of ghee. Serve hot.
Tip: vary the vegetables to include beans, carrots, peas, potatoes etc.