- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of hot water for 30 minutes. Strain and keep the extract aside.
- Place the tomatoes with 2 cups water in a 20cm high. Heat on a highest setting till the red pointer of the visiotherm reaches the vegetable window.
- Reduce to the lowest heat and cook till the visiotherm pointer reaches the stop window. Use the back of a wooden ladle, mash the tomatoes well. Add the crushed spices, turmeric powder, asafoetida and tamarind extract.
- Pour in 1 ltr of water and add salt to taste. Simmer for 7-10 minutes with the lid partially open. Sprinkle with coriander leaves, take off the heat and add seasoning.
- For the seasoning, heat up the oil in a 16cm Low and add all the ingredients mentioned under the seasoning. Cover and let the mustard seeds splatter. Remove from heat and pour over rasam. Serve hot as an appetizer.
Nutritional values per portion: 56 kcal